The beauty of having long hair is that you can literally do anything you want with it! However, because your hair is so long, it takes more time to style than it would short hair. But if you can’t live without your long and thick locks, you just have to suck it up, deal with it and endure the time and energy consuming styling process.
Straightening your hair can feel like it’s much easier on your schedule than curling, sometimes, big and voluminous hair is the way to go. So we’re going to show you how to curl your long hair, saving you lots of time and heartache. Embrace your long tresses and get beautiful, easy curls with these tips.
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
To understand how to curl long hair it’s important that you know how to care for it before working with any heat styling tool. Wash your hair a regularly and deep condition at least once a week. You can use a product like the NuMe White Truffle Serum to restore, strengthen and protect your hair We often mention scalp health in many of our blogs, but we can’t stress the importance of a healthy scalp enough for nourished hair growth.
Protection Is Key
So what happens to your hair when it leaves the protection of your scalp? You’ve got to get creative and know your hair type to choose the right hair care to maintain luscious strands. Some of the best things to do for your hair are those you probably haven’t thought about such as protecting your locks from the blaring blazing sunshine. While it may seem like a no brainer to use a thermal heat protectant on your hair when styling, most people don’t realize that this spray can double as a sun shield. Before you think about skipping the spray, just remember that you’re helping your hair resist the aging process.
You Are What You Eat
Whether or not you knew this before, each hair follicle you have is a string of proteins that need to be fed to remain strong to resist breakage and prevent split ends. Have you ever noticed that one pescatarian friend of yours has crazy smooth and conditioned hair all the time? Think about what she eats. Fish is packed with things like omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins A, D and B-complex. A good piece of oily fish can pack an organic punch and offer you a healthy amount of natural oils that coat skin and hair, preventing them from being dry or brittle, not to mention the amount of protein in those babies. So thanks, Nemo!
If you’re not into fish and prefer fruits and veggies, there are other things you can add to your diet that will help you get stronger, moisturized hair that looks shiny and behaves itself.
- Green tea and blueberries are perfect antioxidants to reduce the amount of debris you accumulate from the environment every day.
- Leafy green veggies are vitamin-rich (remember Popeye and his spinach problem?) and increase blood flow to the scalp, supporting growth while also reducing signs of thinning hair.
- Walnuts and pumpkin seeds are quite healthy since they have omega-6s and biotin. So munch away, these nuts are highly recommended snack.
If you got this far, go ahead and check out your hair (give yourself a little side wink and hair flip while you’re at it). Hydrated and strong hair is like a blank canvas when it comes to styling, the more you’re in tune with the nutritional benefits of the foods you eat, the better your hair will respond to each new look. Hungry yet? Take that last bite of your leafy green salad and get your curl on!
7 Steps for Getting Easy Curls
1. Gather your hair into a high ponytail (much higher than usual), almost to the crown of your head.
2. Take a small section (one to one and a half inches) of your hair from the ponytail.
3. Take a section of hair and wrap it around your NuMe 32mm Classic Curling Wand.
4. Continue to wrap hair around the curling wand, leaving the ends free for a textured look. Wrap your hair on a barrel in alternate directions for a fuller look.
5. After each curl is complete, hold the curl in your palm and hold it in place until it’s cool.
6. Take your hair out of the ponytail and let it fall to reveal mid-length to end curls.
7. Make like Florence + The Machine and shake it out! Shake out and tousle your curls. Yes, you can sing while you do it (we do).
Once you are done flipping and shaking out your hair, it’s best to set your style with a setting spray; we recommend NuMe Freeze Please Finishing Spray. This beachy, casual curl look is quick and easy for those gals who are on the go all day long.
Watch the full video hair tutorial by Lauren Lebouef here.
While the right hair care can give your hair additional volume and texture, there are alternative ways to get this look from the way you curl each section. Try curling your hair in alternating sections away from and toward your head.
A Few Tips for Polished Curls
Beachy waves are beautiful, quick and fun. However, if you’re looking for a polished curl style, then there are some hair care items you’re going to need to invest in.
- Everyone is always talking about makeup primer, but did you know that you could prep your hair before you style? Use a hair primer like NuMe Rise and Prime on damp hair before your blowout to set the hair to help avoid frizz and make your hairstyle last longer.
- Before you think about using just any hair dryer, consider that drying your hair with an ionic dryer can make all the difference in how your hair responds to weather throughout the day. An ionic hair dryer uses negative ionic technology to combat positively charged frizz and preconditions the hair. Sorry, Humidity, but you can’t sit with us!
- It is highly recommended to always Apply a heat protectant before styling with all heat styling tools to reduce the effects of heat over time. You can also spritz your hair before blow drying for extra protection.
- Carefully curl hair with a tourmaline curling wand which is much safer on your curls than titanium — usually recommended for stylists. Tourmaline conditions your hair each time you use it and evenly heats each strand, so your curls are full and defined.
- Don’t let your curls just fall into a style, but hold them in your hand, let it cool down to help it keep its form and last longer.
- If you’re going for vintage glam curls (like Gwendolyn’s above), then carefully brush them out with a wide-toothed comb (your fingers work well too!) and spritz curls with NuMe Hair-Fie Ready - Finishing Spray.